Finding the best method to resolve employee disputes

On Behalf of | Aug 16, 2016 | Employee Disputes

Are you married? Do you live with others? You know that disputes can surface over many things. The same is true of our work lives. It should come as no surprise. We probably spend as much or more time with our coworkers than we do with our families.

If you are federal employee in Texas or anywhere else in the country, you could find yourself embroiled in a job controversy of one kind or another. Adverse actions can leave you frustrated and demoralized. Worse, they can leave you unemployed. Understanding all your options for how to protect your rights is paramount.

You want to be sure that you select the right resolution forum, whether it happens to be litigation, arbitration or mediation. Each has its pros and cons. Then again, depending on the nature of the case, you might not even have a choice of forum. Then you have to make the best of the situation you face.

Litigation may be the means that has the most appeal because of our competitive natures. It might deliver the outcome you desire. It might not. And the expense might leave you wondering if it’s worth it.

Arbitration is like litigation in that you present your case to someone who is supposed to be a neutral third party. You might be able to name the arbitrator and resolve the issue relatively quickly and inexpensively, but some processes in litigation that promote fairness won’t necessarily apply.

Mediation differs from arbitration in that it depends on the disputing parties collaborating to settle their differences. A neutral mediator is involved, but only to provide guidance to the disputants toward a final agreement.

What’s clear is that for mediation to work, trust must exist. If you don’t believe your employer will engage in the process in good faith with an eye toward finding common ground, you might want to consider a more adversarial posture if the option is available.

To allay your concerns about responding to adverse actions, discipline or labor disputes, speak with an experienced attorney. Free case evaluation makes that easy to do.